Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pursuing Domesticity

“You must find the confidence for everything..otherwise you will pass life and yourself by.”
   ~Rainer Maria Rilke

I have many domestic goddesses among my friends. They are a constant source of inspiration for me, and a constant source of inspiration for me, and a constant reminder that I do not rank among them. My home gives me joy - making it a haven for my husband and daughter is something I am always attempting, but I’ve discovered that I’m not naturally domestic - too inclined to lose myself in books and daydreams, too addicted to cozy mornings in bed, too forgetful, too easily distracted. Domesticity is something I have to pursue each day - when I remember - like holiness, like beauty. It’s something that requires more effort than I give it, and I am forever trying to reclaim lost ground. Domesticity is something which calls me out of myself and out of my warm bed on late nights and early mornings to the home-fire burning, to comfort my daughter, make coffee and set out hot oatmeal in the cold pre-dawn. When I fail, when I forget or forgo for my own comfort, I know the coming day has been damaged in some inner way. I regret the lack and move on, sweeping up dirt, stoking the fire and embracing once again the life I love - one that gives me each moment to cherish as they flow by.




2 comments:

  1. Do not be too hard on yourself, for if you became the woman who focuses more on domestic chores, you may lose part of yourself in the process. Sometimes when we are looking for those things that we fail to do, we do not see those things which we have accomplished, however small they may be in our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'll try to take this to heart :)

    ReplyDelete