Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Simplicity II

The second recommendation from the simplification list is to evaluate your time. How do you spend your day? In this I am failing miserably. My time is often planned out in the evening only to be forgotten in the morning. There is a lot of time wasted on uncertainty, on slowly deliberating on what to do today, rereading the lazy books I love and then rushing around to catch up with my to-do list. I’m spending this week re-evaluating, and working hard to re-align my time with my values. In line with this recommendation is the next one, to simplify daily tasks. In my life, this primarily requires me to think through what I’m doing before jumping into it. To plan ahead at least a little bit, and save the trouble of discovering half-way through that I’m missing something, messing it all up, or that I don’t have enough time to do the job well. Simplifying tasks also means taking the time to do a task really well so that I don’t have to do it again the following day.


I’m looking around a bit today, and I can see my typical time wasters. My tendency to store way too much in the diaper basket, forcing me to clean it out every time I’ve laundered the diapers, my habit of letting the dishes pile up until they have to be washed before anything else can be done. My love-hate relationship to my early morning nap. I’m past due for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment