Thursday, July 5, 2012

Gardens

We are slowly spreading out here in our woods, turning trees into gardens. Most of the trees are themselves a joy and a beauty, but many of them are thin, sickly things, too close to each other to thrive. We are taking them down to make room for blackberries, raspberries, elderberries, and strawberries. This year we’ve had more time to play in the gardens, to till and plant and enjoy. We are moving beyond surival-mode here, and our list of things to do is getting less and less serious. Road work is helpful, but not dire, and most of my daily tasks fall under Beautification, not Essential.

My family will arrive again on Saturday. Not only my parents, but also my youngest brother. I’m excited to show them the changes, excited to bake for them, and show them the gardens. I have a whole list of tasks they’re welcome to perform. It sometimes feels exploitive to have them work when they visit, but they’re always so eager to dive in. This week I hope to have their help putting a fence along the front yard, setting up the summer (outdoor) kitchen, and cleaning out the yurt. All of this depends on the weather.


No comments:

Post a Comment