Thursday, August 9, 2012

10 Reasons I Love Cloth Diapers..and 1 reason I don't

         1. When I forget to bring diapers on my long drive to Whole Foods, I can grab a rag, a couple socks, or anything absorbent to be an emergency diaper! The cover holds it in place well enough and nobody can tell I’m a flaky mother.

2. Raccoons, chickens, and Luba breaking into my trash can scatter garbage, but I never have baby-poo spread around my yard. Having just raked up all the trash the chickens scattered before they ate my perfect-almost ripe tomato, I’m grateful. And the chickens would be too, if they could feel gratitude, because if they had spread baby-poo around the yard and eaten the tomato, I would be eating them this weekend.
    3. I don’t ever need to use those obnoxious “baby undies” that come with all little-girl dresses. The diaper cover is cute enough! And..
4. Yarrow can look fashionably adorable in just a diaper and beads. Or just a diaper and t-shirt, or even just a diaper.
5. My food budget isn’t affected by diaper costs. At this point, with cloth diapers, cloth wipes, and our own home-made wipe solution, we don’t have to pay for diapers at all. Which lets me waste money on wine, chocolate, ice cream, and food for Luba.

          6. There’s always have a towel handy in a clean diaper from the basket or purse. The number of times I’ve stolen one of my last diapers to wipe up a coffee spill is beyond measure.
7. The clothes-line looks so pretty with a row of bright white diapers and colorful covers. I just love a pretty clothesline.
        8. I’ve never had a blow-out..That may not be due to the diapers, but I like to give them credit for it. They’ve kept in some horrific poops, the cover will be filthy, but only on the inside. I stay clean, and that’s the main thing.
9. Yarrow can play with her diapers, and I don’t have to worry about her eating those nasty gel beads..actually, I don’t have to worry about those beads at all, which is nice, because they kind of gross me out.
10. I’m not contributing to landfills - at least, not with my diapers - I am contributing in other ways, but, one step at a time.

..A reason I don’t love them: they often contain poop. Poop is gross. Even baby poop.

2 comments:

  1. I like number 7. :)

    I can't get over that waterfall of blond curls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Number 7 is the best!

    And yeah, that girl's got the market cornered on curls - makes all the random older-ladies we meet HAVE to touch them :P

    ReplyDelete