Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Cake

It was supposed to be a beautiful, triple-layer mini cake - with layers of strawberry sauce in between and light white butter-cream frosting. But my mini cake-tins were buried somewhere in the shed, so I altered the design to a double layer 9 inch cake..until one of the layers collapsed right out of the oven (I tested it, and it should have been done, but I failed somehow it my test, and the whole center was still batter). I tossed it to the chickens and concentrated on the single layer of cake I had left. Baked it long and carefully, cooled it all night, and on Easter morning, discovered that it too had a unfinished center (honestly! This has never happened to me!!..as far as I can remember). So I got desperate. I cut out the center, filled the hole with strawberries, a bit of sugar, and lime zest, frosted it, and gave it over to Seth for decoration (I wanted to toss it, he wanted cake, so he offered to make it pretty enough to serve). And this is it:



Golden Cake

Sift together:
1 3/4 cups cake or all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

In a separate bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter, then add 1 cup sugar and beat until light and creamy.

In yet another bowl, beat together 5 egg yolks and 1 whole egg until all lemony-colored. Add the eggs to the butter & sugar, beat together until blended.

Then add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternating with 1/2 cup milk and mix tell blended (but don’t over-mix!)

Pour it all into two buttered and floured 7’ or 8’ round cake pans and bake at 350 for God only knows how long - they say about 45 minutes or until golden, but apparently my stove makes cakes deceptively golden..TEST it well with a knife or toothpick to ensure doneness..then you can layer it with strawberry sauce and butter-cream, and decorate as Seth did, with more strawberries. It’s amazing with creamy coffee, and a little goes a very long way. Wesołego Alleluja!


No comments:

Post a Comment