Monday, August 29, 2011

Vinegar: the cleaner for every mess


In April, Matka bought me a book on natural household cleaners. The book is full of recipes to clean everything from windows to rugs, and all the recipes I've discovered so far contain vinegar.  I've used vinegar with alum and essential oils to scrub my rug, vinegar with baking soda and borax to soak diapers, vinegar all alone to shine all our windows, and vinegar with salt to scrub copper. If there is a stain or smear or smell that needs gotten rid of, vinegar is now my weapon of choice.

I'm not at all sure what it is about vinegar that cleans so well. We use white vinegar most of the time - and all the time on fabrics - it's inexpensive and easy to store and not dangerous at all, which is a wonderful benefit. I've even used it to clean out a stuffy sort of smell from my old Saturn! I love having a "go-to" cleaner that I can always turn to, knowing that if it doesn't work, at least it won't damage the thing I'm trying to clean, or leave a residue of "cleaner" on my hands.

The plan this week is to put my vinegar to use in the outhouse, deep-cleaning in hopes of finally papering most of the walls either this week or next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment