Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Retreat Cake


I’m ready for August. My dearest friend turned 30 last weekend and, as always, our birthdays have merged in my mind so that I have trouble remembering that I am still 29 for almost two more weeks!

I’ve been easing into my retreat; I want it to be everything it can be and preparation is so essential for that. This morning we poured tea from pot to cup, aware of the process, we drank it with bowls of yogurt, flax, and blueberries fresh from the yard. Grapefruit is featuring prominently in almost every meal, and my pots of tea are always steeping something.

I’m forcing my days into order -gently..rising earlier to write in my journal and prepare for the day, limiting distractions, and shouldering responsibilities - the kitchen is a mess as I work my way through the organization process. One of my goals for the month is to bake more often - to have cake in house often - for Seth and Yarrow, as it doesn’t really fit in with a detox. I don’t mean that sort of cake that’s a sugary mess. Not ‘birthday cake’ or ‘wedding cake’..something versatile - that can fit with breakfast, lunch, or tea - something like Blueberry Corn Cake. I’ve made the recipe twice and we love it! Ready to pair with yogurt and coffee at 6am or with tea and cream at 4:30pm..this is cake that looks and tastes like love.

Blueberry Corn Cake

1/2 cup Wholemeal plain flour (I used 1/4 cup whole wheat and 1/4 white)
1/2 cup fine-ground cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup maple syrup (you could use honey if you’re not abundantly blessed with Maple trees..but you might want to reduce the amount..honey is sweeter.)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup Walnut Oil (I used melted butter because I don’t have walnut oil, I think any light-flavored oil would work as well..NOT olive oil though)
2 tbsp Milk
About1/2 - 3/4 cup blueberries

The cake bakes at 350 F. Grease an 8” pan with oil or butter. Stir together the dry ingredients and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and syrup, walnut oil, vanilla, and milk. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Toss in blueberries and stir lightly. Pour/spoon batter into cake pan and sprinkle on remaining berries. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until the cake is lightly golden and springs back with pressed. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment